Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

You would think that having kids would make you more aware of holiday's like Father's Day.  Instead our world is so hectic and chaotic, I barely remembered to get my husband a card let alone do anything special for him.  I never watch television that isn't DVR'd so I can't even rely on commercials to let me know what holiday's are fast approaching.  Just more baggage to pile into the backpack of mommy guilt we all wear as mothers.

I used to be one of those people who enjoyed holidays, I would look forward to any excuse to party with friends and family.  Thanksgiving, New Year's, Halloween....hell Arbor Day, Flag Day -- I don't care -- let's get together, celebrate whatever day it is, laugh and drink.  I even used to throw ridiculous parties for myself on my own birthday, now I can't even remember how old I am.  Regardless, Father's Day today was spent with my husband and kids and my parents who just returned from being away for a month.  The kids are so happy to have "Mamaw" and "Bumpa" back and because they are such an amazing support to both me and my husband we're happy to have them back too.

Before kids, I could actually think in advance of something nice I would like to do for my dad for Father's Day -- make him something, write him a thoughtful card, take him out to dinner.  Today he came over, babysat my kids for an hour so I could run to Men's Warehouse with my husband (now THAT'S a hot date -- let me tell you!), prepped all the food for the grill, and I think he even ended up doing the dishes.  Not exactly how you picture honoring someone for all they've done for you over the years.

But I'm lucky to have a father that literally has NO PROBLEM doing all those things for my family -- even on Father's Day.  He's literally one of THE nicest, sweetest, most caring people on the planet (ask anyone :) and he would literally bend over backwards for me, my husband or my children.  And he has.  Over, and over, and over again.  I'm really lucky to have had him as my father growing up and he continues to be a father for the family I have created in my adult life.

Now let's talk about the less than amazing Father's Day for my husband.  Listen up, because this is every man's dream...we left the kids with the grandparents in order to steel a quick moment alone so I could properly honor him for the amazing man that he is....at Men's Warehouse.  There's nothing that says I-love-you-for-being-the-husband-that-you-are-and-the-most-amazing-father-in-the-world-to-our-two-adorable-children than having him fitted for new suits because he's lost weight working around the clock for said adorable family.  These new suits (that we are thankfully getting during a buy-one-get-one free sale) will better fit my husband's incredibly shrinking body as he continues to burn the midnight oil while I stay-at-home with our small children.  I think he got more action from the male tailor during the fitting than he has from me in months (nine months to the day Ronan was conceived to be exact....I'm kidding, it's not THAT bad).  So, we left Men's Warehouse talking about how much muscle mass he's lost because he's shriveling away behind his computer in order to support our family.

As we approached our car, a homeless woman sitting in front of a store front window asked us for some spare change and when I told her I didn't have anything on me (which is true -- since I don't make my own money anymore as a stay-at-home mom, the idea of a wallet or even pants with pockets sort of becomes obsolete), I saw my reflection in the window behind her.  And I have to say, the homeless woman looked a hell of a lot more pulled together than I did.  I'm not saying she doesn't have a story to tell or some serious shit she's dealing with -- I would never make fun of something like that.  But she did -- at least aesthetically -- look a hell of a lot better than I did on that street corner.  Not better off -- just better looking.  I was again reminded of just how physically taxing and utterly exhausting it is for both of us to be in this phase of our lives with small children.  It's taken a toll on both me and my husband physically.  But I just told him that no matter how skinny he gets or how haggard I end up looking at the end of the day -- he's a damn good father, I love him to death, and I hope for both of us that we survive this phase of our lives in one piece.

Who knows, maybe when we're 50 we'll miraculously wake-up one day to a quiet house hold looking like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  One can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment